Previously, I did a tutorial on Kohana 3 internationalization, and promised that I would create a better tool for collecting translations. Here it is:
- that module used the deprecated Sprig ORM,
- had a different idea of what the translation files should contain (e.g. key lookups rather than string lookups),
- did not include user management
- nor did it support locking translations (meaning that two translators working at the same time would overwrite each other’s texts)
- nor did it deal with a number of niceties, such as:
- ability to update the translation later from a file,
- ability to specify which languages to translate to via UI,
- ability to upload translation files via UI,
- having a fancy-pants progress bar to motivate translators,
- and edge cases (multiline string linefeed conversion, UTF8).
So I ended up rewriting all of the code, and am releasing it as Kohana-translate.
Get it from Bitbucket: http://bitbucket.org/mixu/kohana-translate (hg clone ssh://email@example.com/mixu/kohana-translate).
- user: For user administration, see my auth tutorial.
- translate: For the translation itself.
To install into an existing application:
- Place the module into your module folder + copy the helpers.
- Add the “translate” and “user” modules to your bootstrap.php file. Note: the “user” module should be required before “auth”.
- Import the backup.sql file into your database.